IIRC, DropDownChoice requires a declaration like such:

IModel<List<? extends Foo>>

So, this should work:

IModel<List<? extends Foo>> choices = new AllUserModel();

I've been meaning to ask on the dev list why that is.  Being forced to
declare the "? extends User" for a model like yours seems to add complexity,
and force a local variable.  I haven't looked at it that much, but I know
that every time I've had to declare one, I always think "that's weird".