IMHO sharing JARs across J2EE apps is not worth the trouble.

- it messes up some JARs (commons-logging is a classic example)

- it forces you to keep your dependent JAR versions in sync across
  applications. This is particularly important in an enterprise
  environment where changing a dependent JAR version may force an
  additional QA cycle.

- it complicates deployment, since you have to remember to put any new
  dependent JARs in the app-server's lib directory instead of just
  dropping the WAR in place.

If you're like me, the memory allocated to the JVM is in the hundreds of
megs, so an additional few megs in the WARs is simply not worth the
effort.

jk