IMO I like it the way it is because it makes it very simple to change it at runtime... in your case you simply run jety, adding a param tot eh comamnd line: eg.

java -Dwicket.configuration=deployment com.jetty.Start

I can do that easily at any time and reconfigure things on various servers to get what I need... if I did that in code, I'd still have to have some sort of switch to put it onto dev or prod mode... so why bother?

- Brill Pappin