Yes, I love that mailing list :-)

Am 05.03.2009 um 10:26 schrieb jWeekend:

Martijn,

Is there not already an EasyUpperCaseRUs.com web service you can subscribe
to for unlimited conversions at an annual fee of under 30,000USD (or
100USD/conversion) who also have a "5 free conversions" trial subscription?

Ether way, I would suggest this be done at conversion time so validation can do its job properly and you're not handing off conversion responsibilities where they don't belong. Some solutions leaving this transformation of the
text input by the user until after conversion in the form processing
life-cycle may be less lines of code (or less classes), but IMO, are bending
rules and ignoring good design principles.

Of course, others may disagree and come up with all sorts of "neat"
solutions that still manage to upper-case a string; how about "just cut out
the middle-man altogether and do it in a stored-procedure triggered on
INSERT and UPDATE" - that would work too, but wouldn't be my choice.

There's also a degree of "it depends" here, but generally, the
form-processing life-cycle should be respected or explicitly overridden for
a good design reason (to meet user requirements).

Regards - Cemal
http://jWeekend.com jWeekend

Martijn Dashorst wrote:

I suggest setting up an ESB with a UppercaseService that is available
through EJB/SOAP/JAX-RS and JSON. UppercaseModel could then access
that UppercaseService to make the value uppercase.

Martijn

On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 12:50 AM, Igor Vaynberg <igor.vaynb...@gmail.com >