Use "public void validate(Form form)"

See example below.  Hope it helps.

private final class Step2 extends WizardStep {
                public Step2() {
                        setTitleModel(new Model("Add pictures"));

                        add(new AbstractFormValidator() {
                                public FormComponent[]
getDependentFormComponents() {
                                        return null;
                                }

                                public void validate(Form form) {

                                        String dir =
Constants.ADD_PROJECT_FILE_PIC_PATH +
getProjects().getTblId();

                                        File filesDir = new File(dir);
                                        if (filesDir.canRead() ||
filesDir.isDirectory()) {
                                                String[] fileNames =
filesDir.list();
                                                if (fileNames.length > 0) {

getProjects().setNumPhotos(fileNames.length);
                                                } else {
                                                        form.error("Please
upload some photos");
                                                }