Just a thought which I did not think about when implementing this (thus I had
to change this stuff all over afterwards), perhaps it helps someone avoiding
the same mistake:

The latest rendered page is not neccessarily the page that lead the user to
the current page.
I.e. retrieving the last page this way might result in strange behavior if
the user uses two browser windows or tabs simulaneously. Same applies for
clicking the browser's back button.

Thus I had to go back to a rather old-fashioned solution, where every link
hands over a page param :-/ like in the good old days ;-)