I have the same problem using 1.3.5, but not when using 1.3.3.  I spent some
time tracing the source code and it seems related to the addition of this
line:

getTreeState().selectNode((TreeNode)item.getModelObject(), false);

at the very end of the function (line 835):

AbstractTree.treeNodesRemoved()

This line results (eventually) in a call to

AbstractTree.invalidateNode()

which on line 1295 calls:

item.remove()

which alters the state of "item" such that the call to item.remove() in
AbstractTree.treeNodesRemoved() fails with the exception mentioned
previously.

I note that the IItemCallback() code, immediately above, calls two identical
lines in the reverse order.  I wonder reversing the later two would fix the
problem?