Input data can easily be set while testing wicket pages using FormTester.
However, I am having difficulty mocking input data input when testing
Panels. The panels can be started using the TestPanelSource as follows :

wicketTester.startPanel(new TestPanelSource(){

                        public Panel getTestPanel(String panelId){
                                Form form = new Form("testForm");
                        return new SomePanel(panelId, event, form);
                }
                });

How can I set an input value in a component belonging to the Panel to verify
that the expected behavior takes place when an ajax event is fired? This
panel is not yet associated with a Form and hence there is no FormTester
available.