Launching http://localhost:8081  produces this output:

Wicket Quickstart Archetype Homepage

If you see this message wicket is properly configured and running

The jetty server is started and the console log shows this:

INFO  - WebApplication             - [WicketApplication] Started Wicket
version 1.4-rc2 in development mode
*** WARNING: Wicket is running in DEVELOPMENT mode.              ***
***                               ^^^^^^^^^^^                    ***
*** Do NOT deploy to your live server(s) without changing this.  ***
*** See Application#getConfigurationType() for more information. ***
INFO  - log                        - Started
socketconnec...@0.0.0.0:8081

The Start.java code is as follows:

mport org.mortbay.jetty.Connector;
import org.mortbay.jetty.Server;
import org.mortbay.jetty.bio.SocketConnector;
import org.mortbay.jetty.webapp.WebAppContext;

public class Start {

                Server server = new Server();
                SocketConnector connector = new SocketConnector();

                // Set some timeout options to make debugging easier.
                connector.setMaxIdleTime(1000 * 60 * 60);
                connector.setSoLingerTime(-1);
                connector.setPort(8081);
                server.setConnectors(new Connector[] { connector });

                WebAppContext bb = new WebAppContext();
                bb.setServer(server);
                bb.setContextPath("/");
                bb.setWar("src/main/webapp");

                // START JMX SERVER
                // MBeanServer mBeanServer =
ManagementFactory.getPlatformMBeanServer();
                // MBeanContainer mBeanContainer = new
MBeanContainer(mBeanServer);
                //
server.getContainer().addEventListener(mBeanContainer);
                // mBeanContainer.start();

                server.addHandler(bb);

                try {
                        System.out.println(">>> STARTING EMBEDDED JETTY
SERVER, PRESS ANY KEY TO STOP");
                        server.start();
                        System.in.read();
                        System.out.println(">>> STOPPING EMBEDDED JETTY
SERVER");
            // while (System.in.available() == 0) {
                        //   Thread.sleep(5000);
                        // }