That's the main difference between GWT and Wicket - so if you really
NEED it all client-side, then use GWT.

As far as your tab problem - sure, you can do this with Wicket.  The
default (I believe - it's been a while since I used the tabbed panel)
is to load the other tab via ajax.  But if you want some tabbed panels
to preload everything, just use jQuery or dojo, etc to make that
tabbed panel - IOW, output all of the markup with Wicket and add the
tabs as a JS effect.  It eliminates the server callbacks.  Make this a
reusable component and you can use it wherever you want it.

Remember not to prematurely optimize.  Code maintenance costs more
than operational costs.

--
Jeremy Thomerson
http://www.wickettraining.com