And boom! Thanks for the  inspiration Frank!

        final WicketTester wc = constructBasicPanel();
        wc.debugComponentTrees();
        wc.dumpPage();
// delicious is the constructed panel, which contains a AjaxLazyLoadPanel...
// visit it's children, looking for the AjaxLazyLoadPanel
        delicious.visitChildren( AjaxLazyLoadPanel.class, new
IVisitor<AjaxLazyLoadPanel>(){

            @Override
            public Object component(AjaxLazyLoadPanel component) {
// get the AbstractAjaxBehaviour which is responsible for getting the
contents of the lazy panel
                List<IBehavior> behaviors = component.getBehaviors();
                final AbstractAjaxBehavior b;
                b = (AbstractAjaxBehavior) behaviors.get( 0 );
// tell wicket tester to execute it :)
                wc.executeBehavior( b );
// continue with visitation rights, or not, i don't care
                return null;
            }} );

        wc.debugComponentTrees();
        wc.dumpPage();
// and volah, your lazy panel is now replaced with the contents :)
        wc.assertComponent(
"panel:lazy:content:repeaterContainer:bookmarks:1", Item.class );
        wc.assertInvisible( "panel:lazy:content:noBookmarks" );

Let me know what you think or if you have any improvements!

-----