Hi,
I have a form in which one of the fields represents a server
side path. The field has a validator to make sure the path is
valid and contains certain kind of files inside of it.

I also have a link on the side of it that opens in a modal
window a server side file system browser to be used as a
directory chooser.

The issue is, I would like to know what the user typed in
the field, use it in the chooser, and when I'm done with
the chooser, update the value in the field accordingly.

I've tried out three solutions, none of them seems to work:
- plain ajaxsubmitlink: validation triggers and onSubmit does
  not get called all the time. Not good
- ajajxsubmitlink + disable default form processing + grab
  the field input value -> the chooser starts with whatever
  the user typed in, but when the chooser closes it
  would seem the field is not updated even if it's
  part of the ajax request target and its model has
  been updated
- ajaxlink: the opposite, that is the form field value
  cannot be read (it's not posted back to the server)
  but when the chooser closes the field value is updated
  with whatever the user chose (the code that does
  the field update is exactly the same)

Sigh... any way to have this thing work both ways?
I can provide sample code, but first I'd like to check if
there is any general reason why this would not work.

Cheers
Andrea