Sorry for bringing up and old thread but I got the exact same problem. Anyone
got this working on safari, chrome and opera?
I know that the UploadProgressBar uses it's own ajax request. Is it
something in the source code?

IE6 PC - Works
IE7 PC - Works
Firefox ( 3.5 ) PC - Works
Google Crome ( 2.0.172.33  PC- Not working. Progressbar not updated
Opera (9.64 ) PC - Browser hangs

Firefox MAC - Works
Safari (3.2.1) Mac - Not working. Progressbar not updated

HTML in UploadProgressBar should be changed. The last div should have
display: none; clear: left; otherwise it is not correctly displayed on all
browsers.

For now I have extended the UploadProgressBar and changed the html.