If I understand your problem correctly you want to do master and detail
grids. When you select an item in a master table (by means of a mouse click)
you want to repopulate the details(history) table and make a selection on
programmaticaly, right?

I would say you first need to override onItemSelection changed to intercept
selection events on your master table:

            @Override
            public void onItemSelectionChanged(IModel item, boolean
newValue) {
                super.onItemSelectionChanged(item, newValue);
                if (newValue) {
                    //selection has changed on the master table
                    //so you have to update
                    //the history table's datasource object
                    updateHistoryTableDatasource(item);//you implementation
goes here
                    //mark all items in a detail table for update
                    historyTable.markAllItemsDirty();
                    //refresh detail table
                    historyTable.update();

And for selection of a newest item in a history I would suggest that you
sort history by date that the newest item comes first and then simply select
the first item in the historyTable.

cheers
Marcin