Due to the fact that nearly every substantial sample Wicket app is
Spring-based, I imagine that there's something awesome about using Spring.
In fact, Wicket is what has finally gotten me to start learning Spring.

I think I understand the basics of dependency injection -- configure your
objects in xml files and then inject them into your classes -- but I'm still
not clear on the advantage of it. I've read quite a ways into "Spring in
Action", and the author seems to assume that the reader will automatically
see why xml-based dependency injection is great thing. I must just be
missing something here. What I love about Wicket is being free from xml
files. Can anyone give me a concise explanation of how the advantages of
Spring are worth introducing a new layer into my applications?

Dane