Thanks Daniel,

I've just tried this and it's not worked.  Obviously it's a slightly
different use case, that is, changing tabs and popping up a modal window but
I'd hoped it would work.

It turns out that the stopped flag is not actually set to true.  That's why
your method doesn't work.  When I change tabs the timer is still running and
when it fires I get the following message:

INFO: Ajax GET stopped because of precondition check,
url:?wicket:interface=:0:tabs:panel:logOutput::IActivePageBehaviorListener:0:-1&wicket:ignoreIfNotActive=true