Good point. Now that I've switched to c3p0, I'm getting more debug info,
i.e.:

DEBUG - BasicResourcePool - [managed: 3, unused: 1, excluded: 0]
DEBUG - BasicResourcePool - [managed: 3, unused: 0, excluded: 0]
DEBUG - BasicResourcePool - [managed: 4, unused: 1, excluded: 0]
DEBUG - BasicResourcePool - [managed: 4, unused: 0, excluded: 0]
DEBUG - BasicResourcePool - [managed: 15, unused: 0, excluded: 0]
DEBUG - BasicResourcePool - acquire test -- pool is already maxed out.
[managed: 15; max: 15]

It turns out that the problem has nothing to do with clicking really fast.
After 15 clicks on any of the links in the app, it will freeze. I'm using
wicket-auth for security, so the EntityModel<UserInfo> is inflating the
UserInfo object on every page to check for permissions, and the connections
are not being released. This was not an issue before I moved my UserInfo
into the detachable EntityModel. I'll do some more research.

Dane