Jason, the method getHomePage#MyWicketApplication only return the Class of
your application home page, an call from Wicket to it's method, doesn't
means that an instance of HomePage will to be generated.

This is a code from WebRequestCodingStrategy for example:

        if (!application.getHomePage().equals(pageClass) ||
            !"".equals(pageMapName) ||
            (application.getHomePage().equals(pageClass) && requestTarget
instanceof BookmarkableListenerInterfaceRequestTarget))

2 calls to getHomePage and none instance was made from home page class