> However, on the second call to
> updateModel, one of the first things done is to call clear() on my model
> object, which clears the converted input as well (since they are the
> same collection).  This results in the loss of my converted input, which
> in turn, blanks out my model.  I have worked around this particular
> issue by insuring that my model object is never null in the first place
> -> if null, I make sure it is an empty collection in onBeforeRender...

If you are tweaking like this you should override the place where
setting the model internally clears the state. InternalonUpdate or
something, that worked for us... until we found a better more clean
way to deal with it alltogether. Maybe post your code here for
comments? "hacking" near the edges of functionality is always a bad
idea.

> 1.)     Should I always code expecting that it is normal behavior for
> convertInput/updateModel to be called on my FormComponent instances more
> than once?

I would expect it to be called n times depending on the particular
context. It is bad design to RELY on a certain number of calls if the
framework does not constrain this and if the OTHER programmer is not
aware. Someone (or yourself when you forget about it) will break it
for sure so do not rely on this.>

**
Martin