I have a database entity that refers to a collection of non-entity components.

@Entity
class A {
     @CollectionOfElements
     Collection<String> b = new ArrayList<String>();
}

I'm running session-per-request and I really don't want to change that.

I have a Form where b strings can be added and deleted.
The desire is to support multiple adds and deletes before a final save
for the entity A.

But each b-string add and delete is a round trip and reloading the
LDM for A wipes the changes to the b-list.

I could keep a reference to the entity, but it's been written
"never keep direct references to hibernate entities".

What are my other options?  Is there a way to keep multiple adds
and deletes in the client until "save"?  Should I maintain a list of
edits and combine them with the b-list on render?

Have I missed something more straightforward (other than
session-per-conversation)?

Thanks,
-troy