I would like to know How I can validate the string date inputted by a user
in a textfield of my form ?
you can use:
org.apache.wicket.datetime.markup.html.form.DateTextField
ex:
DateTextField date = DateTextField.forDatePattern("date", "dd/MM/yyyy");

This component will validate the inputs against the date pattern.
To output validations mensage, you can use an feedback panel

http://www.jroller.com/wireframe/entry/wicket_client_side_validation