1) I just want to return straight HTML (not contents within the
<ajax-response> node)

return to where? to broser?
target.appendjavascript("document.body.innerHTML = '"+resultHTML);

how I could show a dynamic tooltip with data retrieved using ajax?

target.appendjavascript("Wicket.$('"+myLabelComp.getMarkupId()+"').alt = '"+
myNewTooltip+"'");
( alt or title... any tag attribute you need to change)