I'll show you some parts of my code so you get an idea of how I do things.

First of all, I have used AjaxEditableLabel from wicket-extensions as a
starting point.
TinyMCE's javascripts should always be loaded:

// Preload TinyMCE
        add( new AbstractBehavior()
        {

            @Override
            public void renderHead( IHeaderResponse response )
            {
                if( !tinyMCELoaded )
                {
                    response.renderJavascriptReference(
TinyMCESettings.javaScriptReference() );

                    settings = buildTinyMCESettings();

                    tinyMCELoaded = true;

        } );

In my case TinyMCE is loaded through an AJAX call:

@SuppressWarnings("unchecked")
    @Override
    protected void onEdit( AjaxRequestTarget target )
    {
        super.onEdit( target );

        final String id = editor.getMarkupId( true );
        final StringBuilder buf = new StringBuilder();

        // Load plugins
        buf.append( settings.getLoadPluginJavaScript() ).append( ";\n" );

        // Initialize tinyMCE
        buf.append( "tinyMCE.init({" ).append( settings.toJavaScript(
Mode.none, Collections.EMPTY_LIST ) ).append( " });\n" );
        buf.append( settings.getAdditionalPluginJavaScript() ).append( ";\n"
);

        // Setup editor
        buf.append( "tinyMCE.execCommand('mceAddControl',true,'" ).append(
id ).append( "');" );

        // Request focus on editor
        buf.append( "setTimeout( function()
{tinyMCE.execCommand('mceFocus',true,'" ).append( id ).append( "');}, 500
);" );

        target.appendJavascript( buf.toString() );
    }

As you can see I initialize TinyMCE, and then perform an mceAddControl
command on the textarea I want to convert to a TinyMCE editor.

Finally, I need to switch back to a textarea before unloading, so the
correct contents are POSTed. To do so, I have added an AjaxCallDecorator to
the close request, and allow implementations to override it:

@Override
    protected IAjaxCallDecorator getCloseDecorator()
    {
        return new AjaxCallDecorator()
        {

            @Override
            public CharSequence decorateScript( CharSequence script )
            {
                return "tinyMCE.execCommand('mceRemoveControl', false, '" +
editor.getMarkupId() + "'); "
                        + super.decorateOnSuccessScript( script );

                // Call to save contents back to textarea
                // return "tinyMCE.get('" + editor.getMarkupId() +
                // super.decorateScript( script );
            }

        };
    }

The above code removes TinyMCE from the given textarea, and saves the HTML
back into the textarea. I have commented out the call to save(), since it
was not necessary.

Bas