No base page is in a common module (probably will be used by more than 1 app
in the end).

The wicket dependency is declared in a parent project (I've tried moving
thinking maybe there was something odd going on there). Using Netbeans I can
see the dependency is resolved and on the classpath. Looking at the
dependency graph there is only 1 version of wicket in any of the modules and
they all have 1.4.2. I did see a conflict with log4j versions but after
fixing that I'm still getting the same compilation error.

To me its a bit odd that its the add method of WebPage that can't be found.