Remember having the same problem with panel and I have dome something like

for(Object behavior : getBehaviors()) {
if(behavior instanceof AjaxSelfUpdatingTimerBehavior) {
remove((AjaxSelfUpdatingTimerBehavior)behavior);
add(new AjaxSelfUpdatingTimerBehavior(Duration.seconds(1000)));
So, that refresh is delayed a lot... but now that I look to it again I see
there is an stop() method on AbstractAjaxTimerBehavior.

Regards,

Ernesto