The multiple files upload is achieved by a flash object. It works both in
firefox as chrome (but, indeed, sometimes it is in gmail not available).
I didn't need such a feature yet, however I was curious how they (google)
did it :-)

To prove it is flash, just right click on the 'Attach a file', and you get
the Flash context menu :-)

Pieter