I was unable to re-create it in a simple web app w/ a few pages.  However,
no matter where I use it in my storefront app, it happens.

It's very strange because it starts a page "late".  I put the annotation on
the User Account page, yet it doesn't switch to https until I reach the
*following* page in the checkout process.  I just stuck it on the general
Login page that exists outside of the checkout process...and when I click
the link from the home page to go to the Login page using
setResponsePage(new Login()), it doesn't switch to https.  Instead, I enter
the user/pass and submit...THEN it goes to https, then I'm able to re-enter
and login.

Very strange behavior...I have no idea what might be causing it.

I use various Panels throughout the side, would that have any influence on
it?  For example, the link in the header to go to the Login page is inside
of a straightforward Panel.  The entire site uses markup inheritance as
well.