I am confused by something here. I am using the calls to
tester.executeAjaxEvent() in order to populate
the DropDownChoice components with items (these items are provided by a
mocked service layer).
Then I call formTester.select() in order to pick from the items provided by
the tester.executeAjaxEvent()
calls. These selected items are then used with the call to
formTester.submit().

Are you saying that tester.executeAjaxEvent()  and formTester.select()
cannot be used together?
If so then what would be the best way to supply the DropDownChoice items in
order to properly
call formTester.submit()?

Thanks!