true, but i think the component tree would be locked, not the models.
and just to play devil's advocate... such a feature could be off by default
and in development mode it could do a complete check of the tree for root
model objects being used outside the locked subtree... such that it would
be invalid to have a fine-grained lock on a subtree with a model being
accessed by components outside that subtree.  i'm not saying this is a great
idea, just trying to clarify this thinking-out-loud idea...