I'm using a DropDownChoice to select one of a number of items loaded
from my DAO:

DropDownChoice<AuditTrain> train_drop_down = new
DropDownChoice<AuditTrain>("new-train", new_audit_train, new
DetachableAuditTrainsModel(this.train_dao.getList()));

This works fine. But my the property I'm setting is nullable; that is,
it accepts NULL values. So I'd like to add an item to the beginning of
the list entitled "No Audit Train". I've tried a few ways, but all
seem to get dirtier and kludgier the farther down the rabbit hole I
dig. For instance, I've tried modifying my DAO to prepend the list
with NULL, then use a custom ChoiceRenderer to catch this and format
it properly. But then my DetachableLoadable model needs to be able to
catch and reload this NULL value. Things get out of hand quickly.

Is there a standard way to solve this problem?

Thanks,

Norman