Thanks for your input. This is interesting. Somehow I got confused.

Shouldn't this method be natural part of a Component? As you know, each
component has child components, which is why a Wicket page has a hiearchy of
components.

Let's take MarkcupContainer for the moment. Using this class means I have to
add another element in the markup page, which seems complicate thhings a bit
and does not seem elegant.

Did I miss something?

Regards.