Hi,

We have been working on the wicketstuff-push project offline; so far
we have modified the code to run using jQuery (using wiQuery [1]) with
the latest version of the cometd javascript, and fixed a few bugs /
made some improvements. For example the current code wasn't as
efficient as it could have been when you subscribe to more than one
event per page.  We also have added a 'push model', where when you
update the contents of a components model, that component is updated
as usual with wicket ajax, and some helper code for working with
wiQuery.

All of this code is work-in-progress, but we want to start a dialog
with the main developer(s) of the push project to see if we can
contribute our work back to the community.

We also experimented with using atmosphere [2] which allows cometd to
work on more servlet containers than just jetty, but while the
integration worked fine, there is currently a bug in the atmosphere
code which means that it doesn't work with the current version of the
cometd servlet [3].

A version based only on wicket ajax sounds interesting, if you look at
the jQuery binding, most of the actual work is done by the
framework-agnostic cometd.js file, with jQuery providing the ajax
mechanism and the JSON evaluation, however I know that the wicket ajax
backend is being re-written in 1.5, so any work done on the 1.4 branch
would be relatively short lived.

I will try and get together a patch with our work in it for the push
project and post it here, or I could maybe branch the main push-parent
in the wicketstuff svn.

[1] - http://code.google.com/p/wiquery/
[2] - https://atmosphere.dev.java.net/
[3] - http://n2.nabble.com/Bayuex-problems-tt4633855.html