I've had excellent results with Glassfish.  The login server for the MMO I
worked on (swtor.com) has been benchmarked at 32,000 logins per second on a 8
CPU machine.  The maximum throughput on a simple servlet (nothing dynamic
though, just static data), was benchmarked at around 70k.

Obviously, obtaining these rates depends on a lot of things,  and we noticed
that (unsurprisingly) the number of cores has a big impact on maximum
scalability (32 / 8 = 4k per core).

If you use an antiquated server that still processes requests on a thread per
connection model, then your throughput will suffer dramatically.   Any modern
app server or webserver that has a good non-blocking I/O implementation of the
reqest/response handler will do.  Servers that come to my mind are tomcat 6,
glassfish, grizzly...

Hope this helps && happy hacking!

On 11 Apr 2010, at 16:48, François Meillet wrote:

> Hi Wicketers,
>
> 1) I need to build a system which can perform
> -6000 different users per day
> and
> -200 concurent users
>

> The software used:
>
> wicket
> postgresql (mainly read operations)
> hibernate
> jms
>
> At the beginning there will be 2 computers  (I prefer horizontal scalability).
> What would be your advice for the hardware (hard drive will be 10.000 RPM).
> -processor ?
> -ram
>

> 2) Also I would appreciate your advice for the server:
> I have the choice for the server: Tomcat + a JMS implementation like HornetQ,
> or Jboss Application Server.
> I hesitate between the 2 solutions, as I don't need EJBs, but we never know
> !!! ????.
>
> Have you any advice ?
>
> Thanks
> François