Sometime ago, I have used both POI and jexcelAPI and I do prefer the
later. At least at that time, they both had the same limitation: Excel
file had to be generated in memory, which could be costly in terms of
server side resources.

If I recalled it correctly the problem with CSV was MS Excel
interpretation of CSV was not the default CSV definition.  So, I
remember having implemented options to export content the MS way and
the default way.

Ernesto