On Saturday 08 May 2010 23:37:59 Ján Raska wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm thinking about making small business by selling/renting e-shop and CMS
> applications written in Wicket. Now I'm trying to figure out, how many such
> applications can be hosted on a single server (let's assume 2x Dual Core
> Xeon 2.66 GHz, 4GB RAM). Except wicket, I'll use Spring and Hibernate or
> EclipseLink, libs in total shouldn't have more then 20-30MB, an average
> application can be assumed to have maximum of 200 active users at one time.
>
> Is there any way to figure it out? I'm basically trying to minimize a
> running cost per application and I love Java and Wicket too much to go back
> and do PHP stuff, though I guess it's impossible to beat PHP in terms of
> running cost. Can anybody help with this?

Java is much better in terms of resources than PHP, at least this my
experience. It is not only much faster in my opinion, it has better tools to
do profiling. I really did both on a high traffic website (600 accesses per
second at peak time) and we solved almost any problem we had with
java/tomcat/hibernate/postgresql vs apache/php/postgresql.

In my experience, hardware is never an issue, at least not in the beginning.
Most bottlenecks i have seen are software related. beginning at the database
level with proper indexing and configuring the database, configuring the
connection pool, using a cache, profiling your app will offer valuable
insights.
And not to be forgotten: take a look at the client with Yslow Firefox plugin.
A great tool. And take thread dumps of you virtual machine at peak time to see
what is really happening.

So don't guess, measure!

kind regards
Janning