Or you can convert the raw input

/**
   * @param <T>
   * @param formComponent
   * @return T
   */
  @SuppressWarnings("unchecked")
  public static <T> T getConvertedValue(FormComponent<T> formComponent) {
    try {
      if (formComponent instanceof AbstractSingleSelectChoice) {
        return (T)
abstractSingleSelectChoiceConverterMethod.invoke(formComponent,
formComponent.getValue());
      }

      String value = formComponent.getValue();

      if (Utils.isEmpty(value) &&
(!String.class.equals(formComponent.getType()))) {
        value = null;
      }

      return (T)
formComponent.getConverter(formComponent.getType()).convertToObject(value,
formComponent.getLocale());
    } catch (ConversionException e) {
      ValidationError error = new ValidationError();
      if (e.getResourceKey() != null)
      {
        error.addMessageKey(e.getResourceKey());
      }
      String simpleName = Classes.simpleName(formComponent.getType());
      error.addMessageKey("IConverter." + simpleName);
      error.addMessageKey("IConverter");
      error.setVariable("type", simpleName);

      final Locale locale = e.getLocale();
      if (locale != null)
      {
        error.setVariable("locale", locale);
      }
      error.setVariable("exception", e);
      Format format = e.getFormat();
      if (format instanceof SimpleDateFormat)
      {
        error.setVariable("format",
((SimpleDateFormat)format).toLocalizedPattern());
      }

      Map<String, Object> variables = e.getVariables();
      if (variables != null)
      {
        error.getVariables().putAll(variables);
      }

      formComponent.error((IValidationError)error);

      return formComponent.getModelObject(); // Default value
    } catch (Exception e) {
      throw new RuntimeException(e);