What you are trying to accomplish doesn't require markup inheritance.

You can use a panel and replace it with an Ajax link.

That panel could be nested within wicket children participating in
markup inheritance, but that's another matter.  The panel should be
the component added to the AjaxRequestTarget.

Ed.