I should add that in my onCloseHandler, I have this in my js:

        $('#popup #popup-close-link').click(function (e)
        {
            e.preventDefault();
            $('#popup-mask, #popup-window').hide();
            if( url != "" )
                wicketAjaxGet(url, null, null, null);
        });

As far as I can tell, this seems to be the correct use of wicketAjaxGet...

Cheers,
=David