Perhaps we could just register a AjaxRequestTarget.IListener and
implement the onBeforeRespond() method?  You would check to see if
there are any messages to be shown (still looking for how to ask that
question in the API).  If there are, you'd make sure the requested
page's (requestTarget.getPage()) feedback panel component gets added
to the AjaxRequestTarget that's passed in.