I have been looking at the example from jqgrid and as far as I can
understand the resource listener is used to stream back the XML content as
CDATA from the server to the browser. However, I cannot see how it would be
possible to stream back XML from the browser to the server.

One way I can imagine it would work is by creating a form (with CSS style
display none) which has a form text field with a value). In that case,
submitting the form will also submit the text field and it becomes possible
to both read the XML from the custom text field and rerender other wicket
components as part of the same request (and also use prepend and/or append
javascript).

Am I missing something?