I've been reading books, articles, blogs about Wicket page serialization.  I
don't get it.  Specifically, I don't get the need and/or benefits.

Most references state that page serialization addresses the "back button"
issue.  If a user presses the browser's back button, doesn't the browser
simply read the page out of its own cache?

Now say the back button is used and the browser's refresh button is pressed
(hard refresh with the SHIFT key held down), wouldn't one want the page to
be regenerated on the server side as opposed to reloaded from Wicket's page
cache?

Under what circumstances is the page cache useful?

I don't think I'm getting it.  Any pointers to articles or explanations are
appreciated.