AFAIK setOutputMarkupPlaceholderTag is meant for the use case in which
you have a component with setVisible(false) but you still want to have
a placeholder (an empty div with an ID set on it) on the client side
in order to be able to repaint it via AJAX (provided you do
setVisible(true). If you have a component with setVisible(false)  and
setOutputMarkupId(true) then it will not be rendered to the client,
that is when setOutputMarkupPlaceholderTag is useful. But I might have
get it wrong?

Regards,

Ernesto