I think there has been a huge ball of confusion here created on my part due
to certain concepts i was focused on. The reference to  ThreadLocal
originated from here:

https://cwiki.apache.org/WICKET/spring.html
"Application Object Approach"
... Wicket allows you to provide a custom factory for creating this object,
the wicket-contrib-spring project provides such a factory
(SpringWebApplicationFactory) that, instead of creating an instance, pulls
it out of the spring application context. Wicket keeps the instance of the
application object in a threadlocal variable and provides various helper
methods in components to get to it, so it is easy to retrieve dependencies
in wicket components...."

So the ApplicationObject is bound to the ThreadLocal and I think the Spring
Dependencies are bound to the Applicaiton Object, so I made a logical
connection there.