We use Wicket with DataNucleus (JDO) www.datanucleus.org as the
persistence layer. The persistence side is truly transparent and it
performs really well - your model objects don't need any extra methods
and you are free to model and code just as if you were dealing with an
'in memory' only set of objects.

We also use the 'Exposed Domain Model' pattern/strategy which is another
productivity boost over many of the other more traditional approaches to
persistence.

Regards,
Chris