Does anyone have ideas on how to handle the following issue:

During processing of a wizard, I store a boolean flag in the Session object
to indicate that the wizard has not completed. If, during the course of the
wizard, the user clicks on another menu item, the flag in the session is
checked, and accordingly a modal window will appear asking the user to
confirm that they do indeed wish to exit the wizard. This works well.

The problem is, if the user clicks the back button and in effect exits the
wizard that way, the flag in the session is still set, and later when the
user clicks on a menu link the modal will appear - not good.
What is a better way to do this? I thought about disabling the back button,
but that seems to be bad practice (correct?), certainly not what the user
expects.