Hi,

no offense meant, but the rhetoric in this thread is getting more and
more ridiculous. "Chicken"? "Component hierarchy hell"? Seriously? At
most maybe "component hierarchy slight annoyance."

I am not at all convinced that this is a good idea. In my opinion, one
of the strongest and best points about Wicket is that it has a set of
very clear and logical concepts and does not deviate from them.
I especially like the fact that the truth is in the code and the code
rules, period. Unlike Tapestry, where you could pull all kinds of
stunts by using a special notation in the ID attributes of markup
elements.

The next thing is going to be that some developers don't want to touch
the code just because the designer wants a login panel on this other
page too. So why can't the designer write <wicket:instantiate
class="foo"/>? It's just another hierarchy element, isn't it?

I frankly don't see any way to have this "auto-hierarchy" stuff
without getting lots of unnecessary ambiguity and sources of bugs. I
totally agree with what Eelco wrote below, and what someone else said
about the Python way of having only *one* way to do *one* thing.

The loss of predictability and clear concepts isn't worth the very
slight gain in... well, gain in what? In the ability to let code and
markup drift apart? To be honest, I don't even see the possible gain
with this change.

So far, I have often heard about people not liking the requirement to
match the code hierarchy in the markup. Most (not all!) of them have
never actually used Wicket (I know this doesn't apply to Martin). Not
once have I seen a convincing productive(!) example of where it was an
actual problem. In my current day-to-day work on a reasonably large
project, this hasn't come up *at all*. Not even in our sprint
retrospectives, where people are specifically asked to complain!

Carl-Eric
www.wicketbuch.de