The next step up from LIKE statements is fulltext search.
http://devzone.zend.com/article/1304

If you want more advanced functionality and are prepared to spend a bit of time
implementing have a look at the Apache Lucene library.

If you're using Hibernate there's a neat way to integrate with Lucene if you
have a look at the Hibernate Search project.