Use the source, Luke!  That's the great thing about open source.  You
can read it to see what's going on and perhaps learn something along
the way.  You'd be surprised what kind of tricks you can pick up by
reading other people's code.  So, I'd say start working your way
through it to try to see what it does.  If you still can't figure it
out, by all means, ping the list again.

I'm sorry, I forgot to mention in my first post that I already dug quite deep into the code and had a look at quite a bit of code from the Session, RequestCycle and what not classes. I definitely agree with you, that one can learn lots of things from other people's code. So I did from diggin in the Wicket code. I'd say, I understood quite a few pieces of that code, but however it did not help me to grasp the bigger picture in terms of how it all plays together. I also got to confess, that I don't have much experience yet with web programming, so I stopped digging into the code about when I left Wicket and got down to e.g. HttpRequests. So if anybody could give me that bigger picture, nudge me in the right direction, or tell me what crucial point I have been missing, I'd still be very thankful.

Cheers,

    Andreas Maly