On Sat, Feb 12, 2011 at 8:49 AM, Willis Blackburn <wbo...@panix.com> wrote:

> jer...@wickettraining.com wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, Feb 12, 2011 at 7:56 AM, Willis Blackburn <wbo...@panix.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > As a side note, rarely should you ever use Model class for a list of
> > things,
> > especially things loaded from a database.  If you then pass that model to
> > component, all the things in it will be serialized.
> >

> I'm sorry that I said that I loaded the list from a database, since that
> has
> apparently created a distraction from my key point, which is that if you
> start with a List<C> and pass it to Model.listOf, you get back something
> that is not a List<C>, which is undesirable and perhaps unnecessary.

I understood your key point, which is why I said "as a side note".... but my
point still remains.  Loading a list and then sticking it into Model class
is in almost all cases a *bad* idea.

> > So use the Model constructors instead.  The factory methods are just
> there
> > to help remove some verbosity related to generics.
> >

> Have you tried this yourself?  Because it doesn't work.  You can only
> instantiate Model with a Serializable instance, and java.util.List does not
> implement Serializable.  The whole point of the ofList method is to
> generate
> serializable lists, and the documentation even says so: "This factory
> method
> will automatically rebuild a nonserializable list into a serializable one."
> You're confusing Model.listOf with Model.of.

Sorry, yes, it was early and I wasn't paying attention.  Hadn't had my
Wheaties yet :)  Have you looked at the ListModel class?  It may help with
what you're looking for.

Do you have a suggestion for a better method signature for that method?  The
problem you are describing, if I understand your description correctly, is a
problem with Java generics, not with Wicket's use of them.

--
Jeremy Thomerson
http://wickettraining.com