Did you check the javadocs for ModalWindow?

"If you want to use form in modal window component make sure that you
put the modal window itself in another form (nesting forms is legal in
Wicket) and that the form on modal window is submitted before the
window get closed."

I don't know if that will help or not, but you seem to be using a form
in the modal window.  Also, I believe it works better with pages than
with panels.  You might try that.